Who needs watchdogs and alarm systems when you have two full grown crocodiles protecting your house? Awirut Nathip says no burglars have dared come anywhere near his home in the 15 years since his two crocodile pets have been keeping guard.
Burglaries are reported regularly in the city of Phitsanulok, where Awirut Nathip and his family live, but thanks to a perfect security system, they haven’t had any problems for a good fifteen years. Just like everybody else, they used to worry about their safety, until they bought their t pet crocodiles, Thong and Ngen. After that, no one dared set foot on the property uninvited. And for good reason, as Awirut’s unusual guard dogs are very aggressive, especially during the hot summer days. In order to keep them under control and make sure they don’t become frustrated by the unbearable heat, he sprays them with cold water at least 10 times a day, and even lets them cool off in his air-conditioned office from time to time. Even so, Ngen is kept in a ditch next to the house, because he is so aggressive, while Thong does his rounds in the yard. ”If we’re upstairs he’ll come and lie in front of the door. We’re not worried at all. No one would dare to get in,” Mr Nathip says.
Although some would argue the crocodiles are a danger not only to Awirut and his family, but also to his neighbors, they actually approve of his unusual protection method, and feel safe with the predators close by. One of them, Prajit Charoensakkhajon, says: ”I’m not frightened of him. I’d rather feel secure because he’ll watch our homes. Thieves wouldn’t dare to come round because they think the crocodile is fierce, right?”
- Video: Eager photographer in Costa Rica narrowly avoids being eaten by a crocodile (metro.co.uk)
- Thai Family Uses Crocodiles as Watchdogs to Fend Off Burglars (odditycentral.com)
- Problem crocodile shot after menacing children (abc.net.au)
- Oh Snap! Crocodiles attack photographer who got too close (wtkr.com)
- Rare sighting of crocodile eating crocodile (stuff.co.nz)
- Crocodile lays eggs in captivity (thehindu.com)
- Crocodiles Kept as Watchdogs by Family in Thailand (news.softpedia.com)